Use the right tools for the right job!
The hardest job most new osCommerce users encounter is figuring out
how to make changes to their new site. It is difficult to take that first
step when you haven't a clue as to which direction to move. Hopefully this
page will help clear up some of the confusion.
To successfully and, more importantly, easily handle your shop you will need
at least two items: an FTP program and an editor designed to be used on PHP code.
An FTP program is a program designed to allow you to copy or move files and directories
from your computer to your hosts computer (and vice versa). There are many available
for free that do a great job. The first two are free, popular ftp programs. The last one
is a very powerful file manager program with a built-in ftp program. It is not free but it so
outshines the others that it had to be mentioned.
A PHP editor is a program that will allow you to edit your files. Again, there
are many fine free ones available. Here are a few:
- Notepad++ - The one we use here at Oscommerce Solution.
- HTML-Tools - Similar to Notepad++ but not as developed - though close. The free version is named HTML-Kit.
- Context - Not as powerful but extremely reliable.
- Crimson - Comes close to HTML-Tools but has only limited file server capability.
- JEdit - A Java based editor. Generally a little slower than the others.
An Archive Handler is a program that will allow you to archive and unarchive files, like zip and gzip. There
are many fine free ones available but none can touich the following, in our opinion:
- 7 Zip - The one we use here at Oscommerce Solution.
If you are wondering about other programs you have ran across or if you would
like to suggest one to be added to the list, please
There will be more programs added to the above lists so keep checking back
from time to time.